Sunday, June 13, 2010

Shawarma...!


Mumbai is a metropolitan city. One of the advantages of living in such a city is easy access to some really good eating places and the availability of a large number of delicacies from around the world. Im a hardcore fastfood junkie and am always on the lookout for newer and better eating places. One of my favourite columns in the newspapers is where they review different restaurants. One of my favourites fast foods is the 'Shawarma'. It is the staple fast food across the middle east.
I was pretty excited when I came to know that shawarmas are available in Mumbai, and almost immediately began my quest to fine the best shawarma places in the city.
Lebanese Point in Khar(W):
Its on the Khar danda road. Its a pretty small place. I mean really small, blink and miss types. In fact they have a whole arabic menu complete with sheeks etc and I guess its the place which offers the most generous serving of 'Toom'(Lebanese Garlic Dip).
Shawarma (chicken)- Rs70(approx.)
Good Luck at Mount Mary Steps Bandra(W):
This is a pretty decent place where I would normally hang out during my college days. They fire up their shawarma station by 6pm. Their shawarma is pretty stuffed and I guess the best I have been able to try out so far.
Shawarma (chicken)- Rs65
Carter Road opposite Coffee Café Day:
I was able to try out this place just once and its just about ok.
Shawarma (chicken)- Rs70
I visited these places a while ago and obviously the prices are bound to have changed by now. I have also heard about these places in colaba, on the street leading up to the Radio Club and the new International Airport. Hopefully I will try out these places soon too.
One thing I noticed about Shawarmas in Mumbai, is that they have been altered to suit the local palate, just like every other dish that has been imported. The shawarmas are more spicy and sort of Indianised, not that Im complaining about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment