Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shows I watched looong ago..




This time, I thought I would write about the Tv shows I grew up watching. These are not random or one off shows which I just happened to watch once in a while, but which I followed quite religiously.
The earliest memory of a tv show that I have is the Looney tunes show. I remember clearly, that when the Merrie Melodies tune would play before the show, I would get all excited and then get my place on the sofa and watch Bugs, Daffy, Porky(KTV2 didnt seem to have a problem with the character or his name then), Elmer fudd etc.
Another show which I would watch because it would air right after the looney tunes show, was the Sesame Street . I always felt that I was too old to be watching a bunch of puppets sing and dance(shake their heads from left to right), but I ended up watching it any ways. Main characters were Big bird, Bert and Ernie, Elmo, Cookie monster etc.
These were shows which would come on KTV2. This channel would start airing programs only in the afternoon, around 2:30 or 3. Starting with the National Anthem and Prayer.
But to get my fix of cartoons a little earlier, I would watch the arabic channel (Not sure which one), and there was this cartoon called Captain Tsubasa, or better known among nearly every kid who live in an arab country during that time, Captain Majid. It was in arabic, so the only part I could understand in the excited arabic commentary was the GOOOOOOAL...!!
If anyone has watched an episode, u'll realise that captain majid and his team mates sure think a lot before every move they make.
Then came the advent of the satellite dish and we could watch hindi programs on television. At that time all the channels were analogue and we would get star world. Soon I was watching The Simpsons, without really understanding much and also Small Wonder(I was watcihng tv a few days ago and found there was a crappy hindi remake of it).
Star world was short lived as the channels soon became digital and I was back to watching KTV2. No show managed to grab my attention all that much, except for Beast Wars.
Then again after couple of years, we upgraded our satellite dish so we started receiving MBC2 (Lebanese channel). Soon I was hooked on to Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Will Smiths ridiculous exploits. Immediately after fresh prince, it was time for Full House with Danny, Joey, Jesse and Michelle(Played by the Olsen twins). Thanks to MBC2, I was also introduced to FRIENDS, which would air in the evenings. There were also occassional episodes of Saved by the bell, my favourite character being Zack.
There were many other shows I would watch in between like Rugrats, Tom and Jerry, Count Duckula(the vegetarian vampire), Beavis and Butt head, Dexters laboratory etc. But I dont think these shows managed to make much of an impression on me.
These days I have moved on to watching shows like Dexter, Supernatural, Family guy etc.
A friend of mine suggested I watch Death Note, which is a manga series. It totally blew my mind and I have been telling every one I know to watch it. Even the theme music is so gripping. If u only listen to the theme music of the characters, u can understand what type of a person the character is. Must watch, not recommended for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment